This is not the first blog I move to self hosted WP. In fact this is the third one. The only reason I didn’t do it earlier is time. Time and fatigue (my thyroid got lazy, but that’s another story). So finally today was the day. I had the URL and basic setup since a couple of month. All I needed was a theme. I like simple, so I picked “Magazine Basic”. It’s a nice clean looking theme, with 3 columns and enough customization to suit my needs. I installed my favorite plugins:
- Growmap Anti Spambot Plugin (instead of Akismet. The Growmap Anti Spambot Plugin is totally free. It adds a client side generated checkbox to the comment form. Bots wont see it so it effectively kills Bot spams.
- Simple Trackback Validation
- Quick Cache (it does help if your blog has lots of pictures, makes it faster to load. Google hates slow site)
- Hotlink Protection (don’t want thieves to use my bandwidth)
- Artiss YouTube Embed
- Amazon Widgets Shortcodes
- AddToAny: Share/Bookmark/Email Buttons
- AddToAny: Subscribe Button
I welcome any suggestion for other cool and useful (and free) plugins!